For many high achievers the current pandemic has been especially difficult since we’re accustomed to solving problems, getting things done, and having a consistent routine. We can easily feel helpless, even hopeless, when faced with a problem that has no obvious solution (at least at the moment).
While there isn’t a handbook for functioning during a pandemic, here’s some wisdom for meandering our way through it from a post I recently read on Medium.
- Accept that life is different right now
- Expect less from yourself
- Recognize the different aspects of grief
- Experiment with “both-and” thinking
- Look for activities, new and old, that continue to fulfill you
- Focus on maintaining and strengthening important relationships
- Begin slowly building your resilience bank account
In my experience, it all starts with the operative word in that first bullet point … “accept.” Acceptance of “what is” (instead of resisting it and wishing for something else) has been an incredibly hard, albeit infinitely important, lesson for me thus far in 2020. Want more detail? Read Tara Haelle’s post.